Orange County Hostile Work Environment Lawyer
If you work in California, you have the right to a safe and healthy work environment. Unfortunately, some workplaces can be hostile and abusive, making it difficult to perform your duties and causing emotional distress. A hostile work environment is a form of workplace harassment prohibited under the Fair Employment and Housing Act.
Various factors, including discrimination, harassment, bullying, and retaliation, create hostile work environments. Employers who do not take swift action when employees complain or report harassment or discrimination allow hostile work environments to continue unchecked.
If you believe you’re a victim of a hostile work environment, you need a law firm that understands how to handle these cases best. At MJB Law Group, our employment lawyers know how to build hostile work environment cases. We use our knowledge of California employment law to hold irresponsible employers accountable for turning a blind eye to discrimination or harassment.
If you work in a hostile work environment, your first step should be to speak to an experienced employment lawyer at our law firm. We work with clients like you to address issues in the workplace.
We offer free consultations to all employees struggling with a hostile work environment, so you can explore your legal options and decide what to do next.
What is a Hostile Work Environment?
A hostile work environment is a term used to describe a situation where the behavior of individuals in a workplace is deemed inappropriate to such an extent that it causes one or more employees to suffer. This type of behavior can be severe or persistent and is typically characterized by actions or communication that is discriminatory, intimidating, or offensive in nature.
A single incident is not always enough to create a hostile work environment. The behavior must be either severe, such as physical assault or threats, or consistent, such as constant derogatory comments or offensive jokes.
Anyone in the workplace can create a hostile work environment, including other coworkers, supervisors, or even customers. Your employer can even bear liability for the hostile work environment.
Call our law firm immediately if you are suffering in a hostile work environment. We will protect your rights and help you determine the best way through this difficult situation.
Examples of Hostile Work Environment in California
Many employees fail to report hostile work environments because they don’t know how to spot them. They just know they hate going to work. Before reporting a hostile work environment, you must recognize the red flags.
Here are some examples of hostile work environments in California:
- Consistent use of offensive language, including derogatory remarks or slurs based on someone’s race, gender, or other protected characteristics
- Physical or verbal harassment, including unwanted touching, sexual advances, or threats
- Criticizing an employee’s personal life, religion, or characteristics
- Excluding an employee from work functions, meetings, and activities
- Ignoring or minimizing employee reports of inappropriate behavior or discrimination
- Retaliating against employees for filing complaints or for taking time off
What Can I Do If I Work in a Hostile Work Environment?
If you work in a hostile work environment, you may not know how to improve things. Unfortunately, you can’t always fix hostile work environments if employers are unwilling to admit fault and make changes.
However, there are some steps you can take to help your case and protect your career from further harm.
- Report the incidents to your employer or human resources department in writing.
- Follow-up in writing to see if your employer has addressed the situation. By law, your employer must investigate your complaint and take action.
- File a complaint with the California Civil Rights Department (CRD) or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
- File a lawsuit against your employer, seeking damages for your suffering.
Don’t know what to do? That’s ok! Just call our law firm, and we’ll guide you through the legal process and protect your rights. Handling employment issues is tricky and especially difficult when employees are concerned about losing their jobs. We can take the legal burdens off your shoulders during this time and help you move forward in the future.
Did Your Employer Encourage a Hostile Work Environment?
Preventing a hostile work environment starts with your employer. Employers in California must take steps to prevent and address any form of harassment, discrimination, or bullying that may occur in the workplace.
When evaluating whether your employer acted negligently and allowed a hostile work environment to go un-checked, consider the following:
- Did your employer develop and enforce a clear anti-harassment policy
- Did the anti-harassment policy outline unacceptable behaviors and the consequences for violating the policy?
- Did your employer regularly train all employees on what constitutes harassment, discrimination, and bullying?
- Did your employer encourage you to report such behavior?
- Did your HR department or manager investigate all complaints promptly and thoroughly and take appropriate corrective action?
If your employer failed to take these steps, they might be responsible for creating a hostile work environment and failing to prevent the same.
Hiring an Hostile Work Environment Lawyer
If you work in a hostile work environment in Tustin or anywhere in Southern California, it may be time to consider hiring a Tustin employment lawyer. An experienced attorney at MJB Law Group, APC can help you understand your legal rights and options and guide you through filing a complaint or lawsuit.
Our law firm has years of experience handling cases similar to yours, and our track record of success in employment law cases is unparalleled.
We know this is a difficult time, so we will do everything possible to help you through this. We will gather evidence of the harassment or discrimination you have suffered so you don’t have to. Together, we can hold irresponsible and negligent employers accountable.
Contact Our Tustin Law Firm
If you suffered from a hostile work environment in Tustin, Orange County or anywhere in California, you need a law firm in your corner, ready to fight for you. Creating a positive and respectful work environment benefits everyone involved. By preventing and addressing hostile work environments, we can all work towards a better future for California’s workforce.
Contact us for a FREE case evaluation and consultation. Call us today at (949) 266-0880 or fill out our confidential contact form.